Illustration and Visual Narrative & Final Project

05/07/2023-17/06/2023 (week 14- week 15)
Liang Lina / 0347076
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media and Typography
Illustration and Visual Narrative 

Final Project: Animated 1 Page Visual Novel

This is our final project, a continuous project for the digital triptych of Project 3. In the final project, we're going to create a one-page visual novel or comic book introduction for our readers, with a minimum of one animated drawing version, and you can choose which you like to go with. It must make sense and be easy to understand the visual sequence of our story. We need to choose a best-timed drawing board, go through character screens, etc. We can choose to do Gif or video.

Challenge: I chose the story in the middle of page one to page two.


3-Act Structures:
Introduction:  The first page takes place after the wedding, with the hostess drinking in the house, in my case alluding to the hero's drunkenness, and the adopted black cat on the carpet.

Climax: Version 2: We jump straight to the scene where the heroine is killed, which will arouse curiosity.

Epilogue:  Version 2: directly depicts the hero being arrested, which would draw attention to the scene.


Research:

I was only going to do three images to bring coherence to the whole story.
On the first page I drew the wine bottle and some wine spilled on the floor.
On the second page I wanted to draw the cat that was being hallucinated by the hero.
On the third page I wanted to draw the hostess's hand with blood printed on the wall.
But the third page was empty, so I added a page after the second page, where I drew the cat that was killed by the hero, falling in a pool of blood.


First image: I chose some parts of the original first page of these to suggest coherence.

The second image, the fallen glass, the wine on the carpet ...... suggests everything that happened, the domestic violence, the murder of the black cat.

For the third image, I drew the kitten collapsed in a pool of blood, with the angelic circle on its head representing that it had been killed.

For the fourth image, I drew an evil black cat, a black cat that came back for revenge. It has demonic wings.

The last image, the one I wanted from the start, was a hand with blood sliding down the wall ......

The Whole Board:



Animation:
I stored my my Ai files as PSD files and image processed each group inside PHOTOSHOP. Then the parts that were going to move were made into a separate layer. Then I imported my PSD files into After Effects and animated them.

In PHOTOSHOP:

In After Effects:


Final Animation 1 Page:



















Comments